A short history of Ampus
The origin of the word “Ampus” is the Latin word “emporium” – a market. In Roman times there was an important fair at Ampus.
Ampus, a feudal town
feudal castle of Ampus (the mound on which the
Stations of the cross
was built) was razed in 1590 on the orders of the "Duc
d’Epernon", Governor of
Provence. This punishment was a consequence of the Wars of Religion:
(Marcel FAURE, 2000, p. 7).
Canal de Fontigon
"Canal de Fontigon", 7.2 kilometres long, links the spring of the same name with the Ampus
Nartuby river. It serves a number of farms and plays an important role in
irrigation. It was begun in
1497 by the Lords of Ampus. It has played an important role for the five
Races up the hill to Ampus
If Ampus is famous throughout Europe it is above all thanks to the races up its hill. The first one took place in 1921. It rapidly became one of the most important of the European championships. Its reputation is undoubtedly due to the features of the course, with a gradient similar to that of "Mont Ventoux" and 153 bends over 6.8 kilometers.
In Formula 2, the record is held by the Frenchman Marc Sourd who, in 1981, covered the distance from the Draguignan crossroads to the Col de la Grange in just 2 minutes and 50 seconds. To do this he reached 240 kph on the straight after the Flayosquet bend…but don’t try it yourself.
“classic” race took place in 1985. Two “new formula” races took
place in 1990 and 1991, over the upper part of the course from the Flayosquet
bend to the "Col de la